January 21, 2005

Why I love the Drudge Report.

Have I ever mentioned that I adore the Drudge Report? I love the distinctive, iconic, minimal layout of the page. The real news is there, set plainly in three columns of underlined teasers, and weird, sensationalistic things are lined right up with them. Some of those things are so dumb, but they fascinate us even as we think they are too stupid to mention, like today's "Fish Discovered With Human Face Pattern..."

UPDATE: Note that the caption on the second photo at the link calls it "Human Fish-Face." We're still laughing about that chez Althouse. I'm picturing something like this.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Here's what Chris pictured.

YET MORE: Here's a much better photograph of the human-face fish (not, I repeat, a fish-face human). And this seems like a good time to mention Don Knotts.

AND MORE: A reader sends this from "Monty Python's The Meaning of Life." Another view of same. Hmmm... I should watch this film, which starts, fishily, like this:
FIRST FISH
Morning.

SECOND FISH
Morning.

THIRD FISH
Morning.

FOURTH FISH
Morning.

THIRD FISH
Morning.

FIRST FISH
Morning.

SECOND FISH
Morning.

FOURTH FISH
What's new?

FIRST FISH
Not much.

FIFTH AND SIXTH FISH
Morning.

THE OTHERS
Morning, morning, morning.

FIRST FISH
Frank was just asking what's new.

FIFTH FISH
Was he?

FIRST FISH
Yeah. Uh huh...

THIRD FISH
Hey, look. Howard's being eaten.


SECOND FISH
Is he?

[They move forward to watch a waiter serving a large grilled fish to a
large man.]

SECOND FISH
Makes you think doesn't it?

FOURTH FISH
I mean... what's it all about?

FIFTH FISH
Beats me.

Why are we here, what is life all about?
Is God really real, or is there some doubt?

No comments: