July 20, 2005

"A day of blogging is like an evening of strong cocktails and loud conversation."

This is Stephen Green's post about John Roberts, but I love this part about what blogging is like:
A day of blogging is like an evening of strong cocktails and loud conversation. Somebody says something that moves you; you say something back. There's a lot of good give and take, and there's some acrimony, sure – but oftentimes you reach a consensus and there are always a few laughs along the way. Blogging works much the same, only it's just me, my computer and whatever I happen to read on it. Blogging is cocktail party debate in the form of a website - the news hits, and I hit back. Fun.
And he has the nerve to say to the world what a lot of us were saying in private: the nominee's name is boring us! Okay, inspired by Green, I'll say what I said that made Chris laugh last night: "It's like he doesn't even have a name."

It's sort of like a name in Frank Capra title: "Meet John Roberts." "John Roberts Goes to the Supreme Court."

Chris says all the current Justices have interesting names. I say "Thomas" is a pretty boring name. He says "Clarence" is interesting. I say, "Yeah, like the angel in 'It's a Wonderful Life.'"

8 comments:

DannyNoonan said...

John Stevens is pretty boring. So is Tony Kennedy.

Ann Althouse said...

Danny: You're right. Especially about Stevens.

Ron said...

Maybe it shows how Hollywood this whole circus has become that we now care about the candidates name.

Who knows maybe Whizbang Fonebone would be more federalist because he had a name Robert Crumb and NPR would approve of...

Ann Althouse said...

I think there tends to be prejudice against people with unusual names. I'm sure overall his starkly simple name has been a benefit.

Susan said...

Sandra Day O'Connor always had a kind of 60's sweet blonde Sandra Dee/Doris Day sound to it.

Tonya said...

I like that last comment by gs. I don't think Ann's readers know just how funny she is. During her faculty presentation yesterday on the recent Supreme Court decisions, she had the entire room laughing hysterically. By the end, my sides ached and there were tears in my eyes. And, I even learned something about the establishment clause.

Ann Althouse said...

Thanks, Tonya, and Happy Birthday. I was just about to respond to GS by saying that most of today I was away from the computer and for a good part of that time I was having in-person café time -- salon! -- with other bloggers, including Tonya.

amba said...

That's funny. So how about some anagrams:

John G. Roberts:

Rebs Jog North
Job Errs Thong
Her Strong Job

Among the words you can make from his name (but have only a jumble of letters left):

John G. Roberts Jr.:

stronger
brothers
shooter
soother
horrors
hornets
errors
stooge
stoner
snorer
snorter
reboots
throes
honest
reborn