April 10, 2006

"Blogs by themselves just aren't that interesting."

Said James Nail chief marketing officer of Cymfony:
"But if you combine them with other features and keep them to specific topics, you could make the idea of consumer-generated media even more mainstream than it is now."
James Nail! People must say to him James, you nailed that. Or possibly, more often: Nail screws up.

It's hard to tell from the description in the article whether Nail's Squidoo is an effective way for bloggers to make money, but it's about blogs devoted to specific topics that connect to commercial products, something I find not that interesting.

CORRECTION: Nail is not affiliated with Squidoo.

10 comments:

Bissage said...

I think the spellings "Cymphony" and "Squidoo" are "Kinda Kute." After all, to an ambitious man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail. But beware, the nail that sticks up gets hammered down!

Bissage said...

Oops! I shortchanged Mr. Nail. "Cymfony" is even kuter than "Cymphony."

MadisonMan said...

Why not simfinny rather than cymfony?

I wonder how much thought goes into choosing such cute names. They're a big turn-off for me, so I'm taking my beef jerky expertise elsewhere!

Ann Althouse said...

Bissage: Give him credit for spotting and expunging the word "phony."

Simon said...

Eh. He's selling something to rectify the problem he sees with blogs. Translation: he's selling something to rectify a "problem" that he sees with blogs. Hardly what you'd call a disinterested person. It's like when a double glazing salesman looks at my windows and says they look like they could use replacing. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, but I'm not going to take that advice at face value, given that what he means is, they could use replacing by him. Same thing here.

Steve Donohue said...

You hit the Nail on the head with that one!

I'll be here all week. Try the veal.

Bissage said...

Ann Althouse: Right you are!

Simon said...

Seth:
"As a blogger, I think blogs are very interesting. From a business point of view, though, they're a little indirect."

Could you clarify a little about what you mean by "indirect" in this context?

I'm Full of Soup said...

Based on the comment volume, it would appear stories that call blogs uninteresting are pretty uninteresting to us blog readers.

Ann Althouse said...

Seth: Thanks for the correction. The article made him look connected (on a quick reading).

Neil: Oh, for a minute there, I thought you were Nail. I was all is everyone named in the article going to stop by?