January 30, 2015

Dogs and skating on the Wingra Lagoon.



Meade texts me a video from the skating rink on the lagoon that is an offshoot of the lake where we paddleboard in the summer. You can see it's a cool skating rink. Last week, a pond hockey tournament had taken it over, and we couldn't skate. But they resurfaced it super-slick, and we got in a nice round of skating there earlier in the day. Then Meade went back out, accompanied by the dog instead of me, and kept in touch with texts, like that video... and this click-to-enlarge panorama:

5 comments:

Jimmy said...

Beautiful shot, looks very cold tho... Video doesn't show up, at least on my browser.

Ann Althouse said...

I changed the way I did the video. Maybe that will make it work for you.

How cold was it? It's been around 20 all day. When we skated around lunchtime, I didn't feel the slightest bit cold.

Jimmy said...

Works now, thanks. 20 degrees? I've lived on Maui for 30 years, and anything below 55 is brutal. But it looks beautiful, as do all the photos you show.

Ann Althouse said...

Yeah, if you're in your summer clothes 55° can make you quite chilly. We turn the indoor temperature that low inside at night, and it's great for sleeping, but getting out of bed is a little too invigorating. I need to wear layers indoors, even with the daytime setting at 62°. It's funny, there's a whole psychological aspect to it that's hard to understand. But when it's daytime and sunny and you've got a good jacket and mittens and a hat and you're moving around ice skating, you just don't feel the slightest bit chilly when it's 20°.

The Godfather said...

The caption led me to expect ice-skating dogs, so I was disappointed.

But it reminded me of skating on a pond in Elizabeth Park, West Hartford CT, when I was growing up -- much smaller body of (frozen) water, but the same idea. I enjoyed it then, but I don't miss it.