January 14, 2004

What sort of person wants to reorganize an office while listening to a Fresh Air about "An End to Evil"?

But what I most wanted to comment on about that last post is the use of the phrase "go ahead." I've noticed a lot of people larding their speech with that phrase lately. I wish they'd stop. I needed to use it because I really was going ahead. Then I had to regret using the phrase. I notice they use the phrase a lot on the TV show Trading Spaces, as in "We're going to go ahead and paint the room yellow."

Actually, my office is quite yellow. (I was quite yellow about starting this blog.)

3 comments:

Icepick said...

Hmm, I hadn't noticed that one. I do notice people larding their speech and writing with "really", though. In fact, I did it myself in the first sentence of this comment before realizing I had done so. So do you still notice people larding their speech with "go ahead"?

Some "go ahead" moments from Office Space, courtesy of Bill Lumbergh:

Milt, we're gonna need to go ahead and move you downstairs into storage B.

Oh, and remember: next Friday... is Hawaiian shirt day. So, you know, if you want to, go ahead and wear a Hawaiian shirt and jeans.

[Peter is wearing shorts, sandals and a paisley shirt, with his feet up on his desk, munching chips and playing tetris on his computer]
Bill Lumbergh: So, Peter, what's happening? Aahh, now, are you going to go ahead and have those TPS reports for us this afternoon?
Peter Gibbons: No.
Bill Lumbergh: Ah. Yeah. So I guess we should probably go ahead and have a little talk. Hmm?
Peter Gibbons: Not right now, Lumbergh, I'm kinda busy. In fact, look, I'm gonna have to ask you to just go ahead and come back another time. I got a meeting with the Bobs in a couple of minutes.
Bill Lumbergh: I wasn't aware of a meeting with them.
Peter Gibbons: Yeah, they called me at home.

And of course:

Hello Peter, whats happening? Ummm, I'm gonna need you to go ahead come in tomorrow. So if you could be here around 9 that would be great, mmmk... oh oh! and I almost forgot ahh, I'm also gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday too, kay. We ahh lost some people this week and ah, we sorta need to play catch up.

Ann Althouse said...

Ha ha. Thanks. It was much harder to dig up apt quotes in the old days of blogging.

Icepick said...

Yeah, the internet keeps sucking up more and more information into its vast maw.