October 23, 2004

And speaking of bleak ...

Congratulations to Bleecker:
UW scientist at center of fall leaf buzz ... This week, botany professor Tony Bleecker was honored with the 2004 Distinguished Researcher Award from the International Plant Growth Substances Association, primarily for his discovery of the hormone mechanism responsible for everything from helping push seeds out of the soil to causing leaves to separate from their branches and fall.

That reminds me of the long minutes spent in my high school English class, prodded by the same teacher referred to somewhere in here, trying to puzzle out the meaning of this:
The force that through the green fuse drives the flower
Drives my green age; that blasts the roots of trees
Is my destroyer.
And I am dumb to tell the crooked rose
My youth is bent by the same wintry fever.

No comments: