November 24, 2011

Sting, "Girl from the North Country"... Mark Knopfler – "Restless Farewell"...

Jackson Browne, "Love Minus Zero/No Limit
"...  Bryan Ferry, "Bob Dylan’s Dream"... Carly Simon, "Just Like a Woman
"... Bad Religion, "It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue"... My Chemical Romance, "Desolation Row"... Ke$ha, "Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right
... Taj Mahal, "Bob Dylan’s 115th Dream"... Dave Matthews Band, "All Along the Watchtower"... Kris Kristofferson, "Quinn The Eskimo"... Eric Burdon, "Gotta Serve Somebody"... Marianne Faithful, "Baby Let Me Follow You Down"... Pete Seeger, "Forever Young"...

The full list. The one I'd be most interested in hearing? Oddly enough, it's Taj Mahal doing "Bob Dylan’s 115th Dream"... which just by chance is kind of Thanksgiving-appropriate:
I was riding on the Mayflower
When I thought I spied some land...
“I think I’ll call it America”
I said as we hit land
I took a deep breath
I fell down, I could not stand
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Here at Meadhouse, it's pre-dawn and we're eating pancakes. (We just invented peanut butter pancakes.) I'd give you an Amazon link for that Bob Dylan cover songs album so you could buy it, but it's not available yet. Feel free to buy something else at Amazon. For example, here's Taj Mahal album I really like. Listen to the title track.

19 comments:

robinintn said...

The false start and laugh at the beginning of that song is one of my favorite recording moments.

Check out the Bing homepage photograph. Happy Thanksgiving.

Robin

Bob said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Ann.

Toad Trend said...

Happy Thanksgiving to all Althousians.

Eat, drink, be merry, be generous, be thankful.

I think the track that intrigues me most is #03. Steve Earle & Lucia Micarelli – One More Cup of Coffee (Valley Below)
.

Saw Lucia Micarelli tour with Jethro Tull and she can play a mean violin.

AllenS said...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Don't eat too much. Save some room for beer.

sakredkow said...

Ban the Bums.

sakredkow said...

Happy Thanksgiving back Don't Tread and AllenS

Toad Trend said...

AllenS

Beer saved the world.

I will be drinking my share along with a little Riesling for sure.

Cheers!

sakredkow said...

Which song does Jefferson Airplane do?

themightypuck said...

The idea of a Bob Dylan cover songs album kind of annoys me. It's not like giving it up for Leonard Cohen 20 years ago. Dylan is already covered to death. I particularly like Nick Cave's version of Death is Not the End at the end of Murder Ballads where you really feel like death is not the end means you're going to burn in hell.

Charlie said...

I'll bet dollars to donuts that 3/4 of these are dreadful.

John henry said...

How good an album can it be when they left out the greatest Dylan cover of all time

"If I had to do it all over again, Babe I'd do it all over you" by Dave Van Ronk and the red Onion Jazz Band.

I think it may be the very first cover of a Dylan song from back in '62 or so.

It is also the best, IMHO.

Damn poor musical taste on the part of the album compilers.

John Henry

Anonymous said...

I'd like to wish Prof.Althouse and Meade and their families - and to all of you a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
And, HAPPY THANKSGIVING WISHES To all U.S. Troops and their families who are unable to be together today.
Without you, we would not be here, enjoying the splendors of this day nor the true blessings of FREEDOM.

Robert Cook said...

I love Pete Townshend's version of "North Country Girl" from his album ALL THE BEST COWBOYS HAVE CHINESE EYES.

Joe Schmoe said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Ann, Meade and family. Thanks for all your blogging throughout the year. I don't know how you keep up with it. Reminds me of the dairy farm I used to work at when I was a kid; the cows needed milking 2-3 times a day regardless of whether it was a regular day or Thanksgiving or Christmas. In that analogy I'm not sure if we're the cows that need milking or we just need the milk...

I stop here daily, and I appreciate all of the hard work you do for free. Enjoy the day!

ganderson said...

I think my favorite Dylan cover is this haunting version of Visions of Johanna- a wonderful performance by an old-before-his -time Jerry Garcia. Haunting!http://youtu.be/JKhM-Ed8R8k

ganderson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ganderson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
edutcher said...

A Happy Thanksgiving to all the Althousians and Meadhousians (man, you guys are up early).

One reason to be thankful is that Dr Death has to find work.

Ann Althouse said...

We just invented peanut butter pancakes.

That boom you may be hearing will be The Blonde breaking the sound barrier to wolf down some with youse guys.

Crunchy Frog said...

Blech. Give me the GNR cover of Knockin' On Heaven's Door, and the rest can be mercifully ignored.