December 26, 2011

Downloading ebooks.

Here are the top 100 Kindle books — 100 each in the "paid" and "free" categories.

I tend to buy my books in Kindle format and read them in the Kindle app on my iPad. I just finished reading the Steve Jobs biography (which is #14 in the paid category), and the main book I'm reading right now is "Losing It," which is a book about the shrinking brain, which was written by the shrinking brain of William Ian Miller and I'm reading with the shrinking brain of Ann Althouse. Here are a few other Kindle books I bought recently, in case you're wondering what I'm carrying around in my iPad:

Scorpions: The Battles and Triumphs of FDR's Great Supreme Court Justices
A History of American Law: Third Edition
Five Chiefs: A Supreme Court Memoir
Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers
Nat Tate: An American Artist: 1928-1960
The Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell
Confidence Men: Wall Street, Washington, and the Education of a President
Rules for Radicals
The Thing Itself: On the Search for Authenticity
At Home: A Short History of Private Life
The Leftovers
Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin
In My Time
The Great Psychedelic Armadillo Picnic: A "Walk" in Austin
Legal Education and the Reproduction of Hierarchy
Rehabilitating Lochner: Defending Individual Rights against Progressive Reform
Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness
The Paradox of Choice
The Feminine Mystique
Slouching Towards Gomorrah: Modern Liberalism and American Decline
The Brethren

12 comments:

C R Krieger said...

How do you harvest "highlights" and "comments" from the iPad Kindle App?

Regards  —  Cliff

Chase said...

I much preferred this book - wildly encouraging.

Elliott A said...

If you like sci-fi, there are several very promising authors who are at present only writing e-books. Many are available for 99 cents and the sample first chapter will usually give a good indication of the writing and imaginative quality of the author.

It will take me quite a while to burn through my holiday gift cards from Amazon, all purchased at my request through Ann's blog.

Anonymous said...

Excellent list, Professor Ann.

I enjoyed the Five Chiefs as well. I actually am a fan of Justice Stevens. What did you think of the chapter on Chief Justice Roberts? After I read the book, I wanted to read more from the author.

The Nudge is a good book by the POTUS friend from Chicago. What do you think of the "Choice Architecture" framework? Does anyone in the GOP provide such a choice to the voters? (NB: Romney does not count as a response, because he is invisible.)

There are some books that I can recommend as I just bought them and read them on my iPad Kindle App - assuming it is okay to recommend by someone who is in the inside of WH,DNC,CAP and who expects a corner office after the re-election of the greatest POTUS ever.

Science vs. Religion: What Scientists really think?

Moonwalking with Einstein

Emperor of all Maladies

Born Standing up.

++++

Aloha from the island. NB: The plan for 1st 100 days of the second term are now final and sealed. They are in the vault. To be opened on the election day.

Ann Althouse said...

"How do you harvest "highlights" and "comments" from the iPad Kindle App?"

You mean get everything out of all your books and, say, into one digital file? I don't know. I know how to collect all the notes and highlights within a given book so I can see them on my iPad or on my computer.

Wince said...

...a book about the shrinking brain, which was written by the shrinking brain of William Ian Miller and I'm reading with the shrinking brain of Ann Althouse.

Page One:

"I was in the pool! I was in the pool!!!"

kimsch said...

You can turn off highlights and notes so you won't see them if you want to. I'm reading the Hunger Games books via the Amazon Prime lending library on my Kindle (Kindle only for those) and I just ignored the highlights. I do have to wait until next week to read the third - it's only one per month.

wv: spaties

Jose_K said...

Radical chic is free at the New Yorker. I can not buy it at Amazon because they dont sell any Tom Wolfe book to customers in my current location.There is no kindle version at Amazon of that book anyway,so I went to the original.My favorite book by him is the one with the essay about the "american century" and the History of solid state physics research
Huxley, Doors . 60's nostalgy?

Anonymous said...

Incredible Sex: 52 Brilliant Little Ideas is #20 on the free list. I will be most happy to make a suggestion for women that will increase sexual pleasure immeasurably. You all know what it is.

Peter

DCS said...

How about some shameless self promotion? If you like mindless beach reads of the thriller genre, check out my contribution: http://amzn.to/u9Eazt
Free to borrow on Amazon Prime
99 cents for all others.

Freeman Hunt said...

Having a Kindle has saved me a lot of money. I always download the Kindle sample before I buy a book. Pre-Kindle, I would just buy the book after reading a few pages from the Look Inside feature.

The Kindle samples have saved me from purchasing some real dogs.

Unknown said...

I also read "Steve jobs" biography, but downloaded from All You Can Books. I had a free trial membership and I said that I must get some eBooks for my new and great Christmas present- an eBook reader. Of course, I think I'll read "Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness" as well, because I found great reviews and feedback about this book. Thank you for this sharing!