March 15, 2018

Until this post, "vamoosing" was a hapax legomenon in the Althouse archive.

And until this sentence "hapax legomenon" was a hapax legomenon in the Althouse archive.

I'd never used the word "vamoosing" (or "vamoose") in the entire 14-year archive of this blog until I used it in the previous post— which I did mainly for the alliteration with "value," but also because I really like it — it has a moose! — and had simply never thought to use it before.

I learned the term (and the concept) "hapax legomenon" reading Bryan A. Garner's "Nino and Me: My Unusual Friendship with Justice Antonin Scalia":

Although he had been on the U.S. Supreme Court only two years, he was already acknowledged to be its most adroit wordsmith. For example, in a judicial opinion just months before, he had used the lexicographer’s arcane phrase hapax legomenon....

“I know you once used the phrase hapax legomenon, but that’s Greek.”

“I used that phrase? Remind me.”

“It means a word or phrase that appears only once within a language or only once within a single writer’s corpus of work. You used it in your first term on the Court—in reference to the adjective material. You wrote, ‘The term material . . . is no hapax legomenon in our jurisprudence.’ ”
I do, on occasion, use a word and feel that it's the first time on the blog, and I've written about these occasions in the past (though never before using the term "hapax legomenon" to talk about the experience). I love that I can search the archive and see if my suspicion is correct. Of course, once I start writing about the odd word, I ruin its hapax legomenonosity.

I had to look up "vamoose" to see if it was transitive as well as intransitive, because I wanted to write "vamoosing the classroom." I would have thought that if I ever used "vamoose," it would be something more like "They vamoosed."

The etymology is so obvious that once you read it, you'll feel that you should have already realized it. It came from the Spanish "vamos," which means "let's go." Perhaps that's why it seemed wrong as an intransitive verb. You wouldn't say "Let's go the classroom." You'd need a preposition or two — "Let's go away from the classroom."

But the OED has "vamoose" as a transitive verb: " trans. To decamp or disappear from; to quit hurriedly. Frequently in phr. to vamoose the ranch. U.S." Three of the four historical examples have "the ranch" as the place vamoosed from, e.g., "I got that far when the eyes of the old galoots started out of their heads, and they vamoosed the ranche" (1888 E. Custer Tenting on Plains). I like the poetry of "galoots" with "vamoosed."

I got to wondering about whether "galoot" was a hapax legomenon (though by asking the question I ruined its status). But the answer was no anyway. Back in 2013, I quoted Meade (writing at the Isthmus forum): "We're all trolls... This very thread, started by someone who hides behind his troll name, fisticuffs, is an example of spiteful trollery. The question is: do you want to be an affable interesting troll - like Meade - or do you want to be a grumpy old ill-humored boring troll? Like Galoot or fisticuffs." Oh, I guess "Galoot" was somebody's screen name. It's a good one... for a troll.

But why was "vamoosing the ranch" the saying? Was it because the intransitive "vamoose" was slang among cowboys? I remember that it used to be common to say "meanwhile, back at the ranch" when you were not talking about a ranch, so, either the idea of "the ranch" is bigger than just a ranch or it's real (or Hollywood) cowboy talk that caught on.

Perhaps the OED has an entry for "meanwhile back at the ranch." Ah, yes!! It does: "originally used in western stories and films, introducing a subsidiary plot; now chiefly humorous and in extended use." The origin seems to be Zane Grey's "Riders of Purple Sage" (1912):
Meantime, at the ranch, when Judkins's news had sent Venters on the trail of the rustlers, Jane Withersteen led the injured man to her house.
Somehow, "meantime" evolved into "meanwhile" and "back" arrived. An ad in Life magazine from 1956 suggests how the phrase caught on:
Meanwhile, back at the ranch... That caption from the old silent movies prompts us to ask this question: How much of your precious time is tied up ‘back at the ranch’?

21 comments:

tim in vermont said...

“Wordsmith” Blech. I wonder if you can search Scalia’s writing and find that that word is ever used even just once. It always sounds like a fart in church to me.

rhhardin said...

"Hey, one more thing. Could you adios these dirty dishes and take out that trash too?"

"[I]t's not often one has the opportunity to adios... the plates of a major Hollywood film star."

Notting Hill (1999)

Bill, Republic of Texas said...

It sounds to me like one of Scalia's clerks used the phrase "hapax legomenon."

traditionalguy said...

Vamoosing sounds more like an Andy Devine phrase. Being the straight man to Roy Rogers did not let him the use even the semi cuss words of Gabby Hays' like " Gol darn it", or, "Dadgummit."

The new invention of Black and white TVs dedicated the 4:00PM to 6:00PM time slot to replaying many of the 1930s Western movie serials.

Heartless Aztec said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heartless Aztec said...

As a decades long and constant traveller to Mexico and Central America (for the awesome surf) the constant frisson between Spanish and English has created a useful and intermediary language - Spanglish. There are different regional versions of it - Costa Rican, Mexican, Puerto Rican, etc. It's a wonderful language of useful words and phrases that allow two cultures to interact. I used it in my classroom on a daily basis. Dont even get me started on Hawaiian pidgin.

Ann Althouse said...

"It sounds to me like one of Scalia's clerks used the phrase "hapax legomenon.""

Me too.

The sucking up to Scalia is rather icky. But Garner was trying to woo him into co-authorship and he was successful.

tcrosse said...

I used to work with a very charming Russian women who had a lovely accent. She would say "Don't ask me to say 'Moose and Squirrel'" Of course, to say that she had to say 'Moose and Squirrel'. Russians love little jokes like that.

dreams said...

Yeah, there are times when you best light a shuck.

dreams said...

Or vamoose.

Big Mike said...

Just to be pedantic, I believe that "vamoose" is derived from "vamonos," as in "Vamonos muchachos!" Google translate says that "vamos" means "come on," versus "vamonos" meaning "let's go."

tcrosse said...

Get outta here !

Chris N said...

I think it more likely comes from ‘vamos’ which is the colloquially shortened version of ‘vamonos’ or ‘nos vamos’

‘Let’s go’ or even ‘ok we’re going’ in common speech.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking now of the Monty Python line "People called Romanes, they go the house?"

Richard Dillman said...

I’m thrilled to see you use hapax legomenon in this post. Its a big deal in the study of Anglo-Saxon language and literature. We used it in my grad courses in Old English. I haven’t seen or heard the term since the 1970’s. A fun term useful in studying philolology and a useful addition to your word-hoard.

Nancy said...

What is the plural of hapax legomenon? NOTE: I love hapax legomenon in the plural. They can be whatever you want them to be! E.g. grey-eyed Athena, Adam living by the sweat of his brow, etc. At least until another instance shows up at Qumran or wherever.

tcrosse said...

I love hapax legomenon in the plural.

You can say that again.

Howard said...

Hasta la vista, baby

Char Char Binks, Esq. said...

"The sucking up to Scalia is rather icky. But Garner was trying to woo him into co-authorship and he was successful."

That was quite a get by Garner.

John Lawton said...

You wouldn't say "Let's go the classroom?" Seems like a perfectly cromulent sentence to me!

Anonymous said...

Nancy: Webster's says it's hapax legomena. Compare phenomenon/phenomena.